Monday 21 June 2010

Oh stupidity!

The silk has arrived and it's lovely. Gorgeous. The striped taffeta has exactly the colours I hoped it would have. It also have 8 inch wide stripes. 8 inches! And is only my own fault for not noticing- I read 8 centimetres. Why I don't know, as I spent quite some time re-counting inches and years to centimetres and metres so I would order that right lengths. So I knew perfectly well that all measurements was in inches and yards and I have only myself to blame.

http://www.puresilks.biz/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=156

I think its salvage as the stripes are so wide- I could "cut and paste", but not for a robe battante. I'm not that crazy. But I think it would be prefectly possible to do a jacket and a petticoat out of it. That wasn't exactly what I was planning to do and the only "little jacket" I have plans for has it's fabric already, and I won't change that. So another little jacket? One can't have too many I suppose, but I've no idea what kind of model to do.

Is it too much of me to once again ask for ideas? I know I just did for the wool cape...

5 comments:

Madame Berg said...

Oh dear, that's a wide stripe :P But it looks so gorgeous in the pictures so I'm sure it will come to great use. If my head wasn't swollen and numb with a nasty cold, maybe I'd come up with some ideas but... nah! I could barely notice that you've changed the blog's theme and it's very pretty! Back to bed.

Rowenna said...

Need curtains ? Just kidding :) I'm sure you'll find something lovely to do with the fabric! Perhaps something that you can play with pleating along the stripes...

GentlewomanThief said...

Yes, like Rowenna I was picturing something pleated. I would probably play with draping the fabric on a dummy to see what will suit those stripes - I think francaise type back pleats might work (so you could do a pet en lair?), but you might try them out and find that they don't! Is the fabric bluey as it looks in the photo, or is it grey and off-white as per the description?

The Dreamstress said...

Gorgeous! A skirt would look amazing, as would a little Regency jacket with one stripe pleated in below the bust, and then opening out to be the two colours. Of course, a full skirt and a little Regency jacket have nothing to do with each other, so that probably wasn't very helpful!

If you were really patient you could probably make a 1770s/80s fitted jacket work too. The stripes would look fabulous opening up into pleats/godets in the back below the waist.

Isis said...

Pleats is definitely an idea! I have to mull a little over that. :-)

Gentlewomanthief: The colour is very true to the pic, so defitely a greyish blue, and not grey. Lovely colour!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...